Milestone after milestone we are reminded that our progress and our successes only happen because of our amazing, hard-working partners and the customers they serve. While our growth could be considered phenomenal, we maintain our humility and look forward to the next decade serving our valued Chinese customers and sharing the coffee culture.
In January 1999, Starbucks entered the mainland China market by opening the 1st store in the China World Trade Building, Beijing.
Now, Starbucks has already opened 4,000 stores in 160 cities, and we have over 55,000 partners. This enables us to achieve our promise everyday through our stores.
Since we entered the China market, we intend to serve the community, and enforce social responsibility programs, both locally and nationwide. Since 2011, Starbucks’ partners and volunteers served more than 700,000 hours in our community.
- Founded in 1971 with the opening of the 1st location in Seattle’s Pike Place Market selling coffee beans only
- Howard Schultz joined Starbucks in 1982 as director of retail operations and marketing
- Schultz purchased the company in 1987 and Starbucks Coffee Company opened the first store to sell brew coffee and espresso beverages
- Completed IPO on NASDAQ in 1992 under the trading symbol “SBUX”, thus opening a new chapter of growth for the company
- Now, Starbucks has more than 30,000 stores and employs more than 400,000 partners in 80 countries around the world.
Starbucks China Milestones
- 1999 - Starbucks opened its first store in mainland China in Beijing.
- 2009 - In celebration of its 10th anniversary in China, Starbucks introduced its first blend that includes coffee beans from Yunnan province - South of the Clouds.
- 2011 - Starbucks refreshed its logo and launched My Starbucks Rewards program.
- 2012 - Starbucks University (China) was established.
- 2012 - Starbucks first Farmer Support Center in Asia was established in Pu’er, Yunnan province.
- 2013 - Starbucks China launched its first two flagship stores in Beijing.
- 2014 - Starbucks Reserve® was launched in China.
- 2015 - Howard Schultz, executive chairman of Starbucks Coffee welcomed Chinese President Xi Jinping in Seattle.
- 2015 - Starbucks launched its official Tmall store.
- 2016 - Shanghai, China was named as the first overseas location for Starbucks Roastery and Reserve® Tasting Room.
- 2017 - Starbucks launched its first single origin Chinese coffee bean - Starbucks Yunnan Coffee.
- 2017 - Starbucks launched “Say it with Starbucks”, a new social gifting feature on WeChat, in China.
- 2017 - Starbucks announced the provision of critical illness insurance for partners’ (employees) parents in China.
- 2017 - Starbucks acquired remaining shares from its East China joint venture partner to become the sole operator of all Starbucks stores in mainland China.
- 2017 - Starbucks won “Aon Best Employers – China 2017” Award, has received this recognition after winning the award in 2013 and 2015.
- 2017 - Starbucks opened the Shanghai Reserve Roastery - the first fully immersive coffee wonderland in China.
- 2017 - Starbucks Reserve® Shanghai Roastery introduces Italian artisan bakery Princi to Asia.
- 2017 - Starbucks Foundation and Starbucks China announced donations totaling approximately $20 million USD (RMB 132 million) over the next five years to drive social impact in communities across China.
- 2018 - Starbucks first-ever China Investor Conference was held in China.
- 2018 - Starbucks and Nestlé formed the Global Coffee Alliance to elevate and expand consumer packaged goods and foodservice categories.
- 2018 - Starbucks launched social gifting feature “Say it with Starbucks” on Alipay.
- 2018 - Starbucks opened its first store in the coffee capital of China - Pu’er in Yunnan Province.
- 2018 - Starbucks opened new multi-experience flagship store – Starbucks Reserve® Beijing Fun Flagship Store.
- 2018 - Starbucks and Alibaba Group formed comprehensive strategic partnership to advance ‘New Retail’ and transform the customer experience.
- 2018 - Starbucks won “Aon Best Employers – China 2018” Award, fourth time to receive this prestigious industry recognition.
- 2018 - Starbucks launched Starbucks Delivers to bring best-in-class coffee delivery experience to customers in China.
- 2018 - Starbucks forged partnership with China Foundation for Poverty Alleviation to jointly support coffee farming communities in Yunnan and create pathways out of poverty.
- 2019 - Starbucks opened the first Starbucks Reserve Café & Bakery in China, featuring artisan Italian bakery.
- 2019 - Starbucks launched “Love Green” environmental protection plan, inviting customers to build a green planet together through green packaging, green spaces and green ambassadors.
- 2019 - Starbucks launched new “Modern Mixology” beverage category in China.
- 2019 - Starbucks unveiled its first International Reserve Cafe & Bar Mixato in Shanghai.
- 2019 - Starbucks opened the first signing store in China.
- 2019 - Starbucks launched Starbucks Now, a mobile order & pay app technology in China.
Starbucks China Recognitions
- The 7-Star Food Quality Award
- 100 Trusted Brands Award
- Aon Best Employers – China 2013
- 51 Job 2014 Best employer
- Aon Best Employers – China 2015
- Best Employers - Guangzhou Daily
- Top 100 Enterprises - China Corporate Social Responsibility Innovation
- Most Influential - China Corporate Social Responsibility Events
- Outstanding China Charity Team
- Shanghai American Chamber of Commerce/Make a Difference Alliance China Foreign Investment Enterprise - Good Neighborhood Award
- The 12th China Excellent Corporate Citizenship Award
- Golden Bee Corporate Social Responsibility
- China List: Leader Enterprise
- Top Retail Brand: China’s Most Attractive Employers 2017 - Yixing Consulting
- Aon Best Employers – China 2017
- Aon Best Employers – China 2018