Milestone after milestone we are reminded that our progress and our successes only happen because of our amazing, hard-working partners and the customers they serve. While our growth could be considered phenomenal, we maintain our humility and look forward to the next decade serving our valued Chinese customers and sharing the coffee culture.
In January 1999, Starbucks entered the mainland China market by opening the 1st store in the China World Trade Building, Beijing.
Now, Starbucks has already opened 3,600 stores in 150 cities, and we have nearly 50,000 partners. This enables us to achieve our promise everyday through our stores.
Since we entered the China market, we intend to serve the community, and enforce social responsibility programs, both locally and nationwide. Since 2011, Starbucks’ partners and volunteers served more than 700,000 hours in our community.
- Founded in 1971 with the opening of the 1st location in Seattle’s Pike Place Market selling coffee beans only
- Howard Schultz joined Starbucks in 1982 as director of retail operations and marketing
- Schultz purchased the company in 1987 and Starbucks Coffee Company opened the first store to sell brew coffee and espresso beverages
- Completed IPO on NASDAQ in 1992 under the trading symbol “SBUX”, thus opening a new chapter of growth for the company
- Now, Starbucks has more than 29,000 stores and employs more than 350,000 partners in 78 countries around the world.
Starbucks China Milestones
- 1999 - Starbucks opened its first store in Beijing - the first for the Chinese mainland market.
- 2009 - To celebrate their 10th anniversary in China, Starbucks introduced their first blend that contains coffee beans from the Yunnan province: South of the Clouds.
- 2011 - Starbucks refreshed their logo and launched My Starbucks Rewards.
- 2012 - Starbucks University (China) was established.
- 2012 - The first Starbucks Asia Coffee Grower’s Support Center was completed in Pu’er, Yunnan province.
- 2013 - Beijing’s first two flagship stores were opened.
- 2014 - Starbucks Reserve® launched in China.
- 2015 - Howard Schultz, Executive Chairman of Starbucks Coffee welcomes President Xi Jinping in Seattle.
- 2015 - Starbucks official Tmall store is launched.
- 2016 - Announcement that the first overseas Starbucks Roastery and Reserve® Tasting Room will be located in Shanghai, China.
- 2017 - Starbucks and strategic partner Tencent jointly launch China’s first social gifting platform.
- 2017 - Starbucks launches the first single origin Chinese coffee beans - Starbucks Yunnan Coffee.
Starbucks China Recognitions
- The 7-Star Food Quality Award
- 100 Trusted Brands Award
- 51 Job 2014 best employer
- Aon Hewitt 2015 best employer
- Best Employers - Guangzhou Daily
- Top 100 Enterprises - China Corporate Social Responsibility Innovation
- Most Influential - China Corporate Social Responsibility Events
- Outstanding China Charity Team
- Shanghai American Chamber of Commerce/Make a Difference Alliance China Foreign Investment Enterprise - Good Neighborhood Award
- The 12th China Excellent Corporate Citizenship Award
- Golden Bee Corporate Social Responsibility
- China List: Leader Enterprise
- Top Retail Brand: China’s Most Attractive Employers 2017 - Yixing Consulting